20111201

Sandwich Mechanics: Schwarzwald Dark Rye

November is winding down here, and the smell of baking bread is in the air. Wait, sorry, I meant the smell of store-bought bread that had been baked some time previously is in the air.

The last post, about wrapping a sandwich in plastic wrap, featured the Dill Rye sitting pretty in the pictures. Dill, as opposed to what? you might wonder. I wondered, too, so I bought a different type of rye. There are at least four different kinds of Oroweat1 rye at the store, and this time I decided to give the Schwarzwalder Dark Rye a try instead.

Funny thing, I never even read the word "Schwarzwalder" on the packaging until I was looking it up just now. It just looked like "Dark Rye" to me. But I look again, and there it is! Well, what is a Schwarzwalder, anyway? Apparently, Schwarzwald is the Black Forest region of Germany, so this bread must have originated there. Cool.

So what sort of bread is it? I went into it with high hopes, having just had a very successful encounter with the Dill Rye. I opened the package and inhaled deeply, hoping to catch some fascinating scent to go along with the bread... but nothing. It just smelled like regular rye. Oh well, the Dill Rye was extraordinary in that regard.

To be honest, I didn't think much of this bread. It tasted like rye, but not strongly. Really, it didn't have too much flavor at all. Very bland. Worse still--and this is by far my strongest indictment of it--the texture was like cardboard. It was dry and not very good. The texture and dryness was enough to even make an otherwise enjoyable sandwich with good ingredients noticeably worse. That takes some doing.

I slogged through a week of this bread to give you guys, you fictional readers, the word to heed my warning when it comes to this one. One might also expect that a dry texture would be accompanied by some redeeming qualities like low absorbancy or resilience to soaking, but no, the bread was average in these regards too. This comes after eating it both in sandwiches and as a soup vehicle.

I needn't say too much more about this bread. Just don't bother with it. If you have a hankering for rye, so far the Dill Rye is far superior in every aspect.


1. Oh my god, I've been spelling it Orowheat this whole time, when it's actually Oroweat. You've gotta be kidding me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment