20240711

Jimu Robot App for Android

TLDR: here is a link to download the Jimu Robot App for Android (jiami-jimu-official_website-develop-62.apk). I received this from the manufacturer when I emailed them. It's legit. I swear it doesn't have any viruses in it, at least not any that I put there. I've been using it at least for the building instructions, and it's paired with my Android tablet, though I haven't made it far enough through a build to check if it fully works for controlling it.

Read on for the rest of the background, if you care.

At a garage sale the other day my son spotted this Jimu Robot inventor kit for like 1/10 the normal price. I said sure, why not. It looked neat.

Problem is, it's Bluetooth-controlled through an Android app... and the app is no longer on the Google Play store, seemingly because the manufacturer has discontinued it or something. The app also has all the building instructions--no paper manual. So if I wanted to even build it without movement, I'd be out of luck.

So I did a bunch of web searching and found a million sketchy sites that surely would infect my computer with something, but nothing official. Finally, I found the email address of the company that used to make it, and I just emailed them (aftersales@ubtrobot.com). To my absolute shock, they emailed me a day later with a link to the APK. In case they somehow discontinue it even harder, there's a link at the beginning for the copy they sent me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment